The Benefits of Dental Implants
Do you need to replace one or more missing teeth? Dental implants, an innovative restoration option, may be the perfect solution for you. Crystal, MN, dentist Dr. Kimberlee Murphy offers the dental services you need to keep your smile full and healthy.
What benefits do dental implants offer?
You'll enjoy several important benefits when you choose dental implants, including:
- Realistic Feel: A dental implant consists of a crown attached to a titanium implant with a connector called an abutment. The implant serves as a replacement for your natural roots and is made of titanium, a biocompatible metal that bonds to bone. The first step in the implant process involves placing the implant in a small opening made in the bone during a minor surgical procedure. Once in place, the implant slowly bonds to the bone, a process that usually takes three to six months. Bonding ensures that your new tooth behaves just like your natural teeth. It won't move or shift when you bite and will feel just like the tooth you lost.
- Long-Lasting Option: Your implant may remain bonded to your bone your entire life. (It can loosen if you develop an infection or grind your teeth.) Although periodic replacement of bridges and dentures is necessary, you'll probably never to need to visit your Crystal dentist for another implant procedure.
- Versatile Option: Dentures are a good choice if you've lost all of your teeth, while bridges help if you've lost one or two teeth. Unlike those options, there's no limit to the number of teeth you can replace with dental implants.
- Improved Denture Comfort: Each upper or lower denture is attached to as few as four to six implants. Your dentures may be attached directly to the implants or to a metal frame attached to the implants. Once your dentures are securely attached to the implants, you won't have to worry about irritation due to slipping and won't notice a change in your biting power.
- Better Jaw Health: Jawbone strength can decrease after tooth loss, particularly if you've lost several teeth. Your roots constantly press on your jawbone, stimulating the bone and keeping it healthy. When teeth are lost, the jawbone is no longer stimulated and begins to shrink. Facial sagging, changes in your bite and even tooth loss can eventually occur. Dental implants offer a simple way to avoid these unpleasant consequences.
Fill the gaps in your smile with dental implants! Call Crystal, MN, dentist Dr. Murphy at (763) 537-3655 to schedule an appointment.