Signs That You Need a Root Canal
How a root canal from your dentist in Crystal, MN, can relieve tooth pain
If you are suffering from tooth pain, you may be wondering if you need a root canal. The truth is, only your dentist can tell for sure whether you need a root canal by taking x-rays and performing vitality and temperature testing. That’s why it’s important to seek out your dentist at the first sign of tooth trouble. Dr. Kimberlee Murphy at Crystal Dental Care in Crystal, MN, offers a wide range of dental services, including root canal therapy to relieve your tooth pain.
There are some definite signs and symptoms to pay attention to, which may indicate you need a root canal. You need to seek out your dentist if you experience:
- Chronic, throbbing tooth pain that never resolves
- Tooth pain that continues even after dental treatment is complete
- Tooth pain that radiates into your jaws or face
- Stabbing dental pain when you bite down or chew
- Tooth pain that increases if you eat or drink hot or cold foods or beverages
There are also some non-painful signs you may need a root canal, including:
- A red or white bump that develops on your gums next to a tooth root
- Drainage including blood or pus coming from the bump on your gums
- A tooth that is growing darker or grayer compared to the teeth next to it
If you notice any of these signs or symptoms, it could indicate damage to the innermost layer of your tooth, an area known as the pulp. The pulp is where the nerves and blood supply to your tooth are located and when this area becomes damaged or bruised, inflammation, infection, and pressure build up inside your tooth. Tooth pain begins, and it can grow severe.
During root canal therapy, the diseased tissue is removed and inflammation, infection, and pressure subside. An inert material is placed inside your tooth, and the tooth is sealed up with a small permanent filling. That’s all there is to it!
Root canal therapy can relieve your tooth pain and save your smile! To find out more about how root canal therapy can help you, call Dr. Kimberlee Murphy at Crystal Dental Care in Crystal, MN, at (763) 537-3655 today!